Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Feeling Patriotic

I remember watching my parents cry at the fireworks show every year, when Lee Greenwood would sing "God  Bless the USA". Just like yesterday, I remember thinking, "what is wrong with them?" I knew the fireworks were cool and that our freedom was a big deal, but I had no idea that age brings emotions. Especially when it involves good tunes and big booms.

To explain... This morning I was headed to work (Yes, I had to work for a while on the fourth of July. I had our company sponsor the patriotic music on the local radio station, so there is a plug for my company every 15 minutes, so I thought it best to be to work in case people try to come by) and I was listening to the radio and the patriotic tunes. And no kidding, almost every song brought tears to my eyes. First was Coming to America - Neil Diamond, then California Girls - Beach Boys (not sure why this made me tear up, but it did remind me of the summer road trips to Washington when I was growing up), then Pink Houses - John Mellencamp ( I have never listened to the words of this song before this day.), and then to top my bawl fest off, God Bless the USA- Lee Greenwood.

I am overwhelmed with what awesome opportunities we have been given in this blessed land. No doubt it was preserved and shaped for these latter-day inhabitants to enjoy religious freedoms and opportunities for success and growth.

Did I mention my wife made breakfast this morning in her workout clothes and pearls? Only in the USA!

1 comment:

Allisyn said...

Reading your post made me cry ...