Saturday, August 4, 2012

Why I Relay

Each year in July thousands of people gather together to fight. It is not a war waged with weapons or even physical violence. It is a battle against a silent killer. This fight is personal to so many people because of the number of lives it destroys.  It devastates families, friends, co-workers, loved ones and takes no consideration of age, gender, financial situation, or status. This horrible villain is quite well known, and chances are you know someone who has been at the mercy of its' grip. Who is this tyrant? Cancer.

I relay because I am one of the lucky ones; untouched personally by cancer, and hopeful for a solution to the problem. Cancer has effected my family and will continue to until a cure is found. Through my donation of time, talent and monetary means, I am confident that one day my family will not be effected by cancer in any of its forms.

I have been involved with Relay For Life since 2002, at the age of 16. It was while taking the memorial lap during the Luminaria Ceremony that I realized that this cause was so much bigger than all the participants on the track and the luminaria bags lining the perimeter. Lives all over the world had and will be effected by the outcome of similar relay events that take place all over the nation. It was then I decided to be a part of something that had the power to change the lives of millions.

At Relay, this past July, I snapped some photos that represent the hope and courage it takes to fight back, and fight back we will!












Feel inspired? Let me know, and we can talk about how your help is needed.

No comments: